BEHIND THE SCENES

Monday, November 18, 2013

We had a very productive weekend (and week!) in the studio. It started with a few days of cutting and sewing a few quantities of each product. Then on Friday, we spent the day styling and shooting the pieces. We are so excited with how the pictures came out and can't wait to launch the shop at the end of the month, just in time for Small Business Saturday.


It's so easy to get caught up in what you think is needed to do a shoot like this. At first, we were trying to find a space with a white backdrop and considered renting out a studio. We also needed a model. I was also worried about taking the photos and not having them come out the way we envision them. I love photography but by far am I a pro. And this year I have slacked on the picture taking, so I wasn't feeling too confident in my skills. But I scoured my favorite blogs, like The Veda House and Designlovefest for tips, and perused Pinterest for inspiration. This class also helped. We decided to model ourselves, and we made the most with what we had. We used our own props and clothes and set up in the office at my new house. 

We woke up to a gloomy sky, but decided to work with it. The overcast skies diffused the light nicely. We knew the overall look we wanted to achieve and played with poses and angles throughout. What's great about working with your sister is that you can be silly. And these silly moments led to some creative shots. We can't wait to share them with you!

Like I mentioned, we're not pros (yet!) but we wanted to share a few tips we learned when doing these type of shoots:


1. Work with what you have. Like I said, it's so easy to get caught up with the feeling that you need fancy equipment or a professional model to get it right. 

2. Have an idea of the look you want to achieve. Search images and even creating a vision board can help. I made thumbnails of some poses and angles that I was considering for the different pieces, just to have somewhere to start and get the momentum going. It also great to have a story board so that the images maintain a cohesive look throughout. This can simply be achieved by reusing some of the props in various shots.    

3. At the same time, Get creative. Try new poses or angles that you weren't planning on doing. Sometimes these are the shots that you end up liking the best. 

4. Use natural light. It really creates the best overall look and requires minimal editing at the end.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

xiokat All rights reserved
© Blog Milk
Powered by Blogger

^